I'm a DetermiNation athlete enjoying the process of improvement and learning. I participate as a member of "Team Familia". This blog has bits and pieces and I update as best I can. I use it as a tool for reflection and as a way to share experiences. Thanks for reading!

Monday, January 10, 2011

A moment of reflection

As I was preparing myself, reading through the training program that Tara sent me, on one of the first pages it asks you to write three reasons as to why you want to complete an Ironman distance triathlon. Good question. Tonight we had our first committee meeting of the year for the American Cancer Society DetermiNation team. It was in one of those meetings where I heard the story of Alison, Michelle, Kristin and Heath completing Ironman Wisconsin and thinking, "damn, that's awesome. I like to run, but I'm not that great, and I don't really know how to swim..." thoughts of negativity, and "no way" It's one thing to not want to do something. I have no interest in being a really awesome rock climber... but this was something that I wanted, but was afraid to attempt- at first :).... Till I decided to just sign up for my first sprint.... and off I went, looking back only to reflect. Being a part of this endurance community has really changed my life, introducing me to a lifestyle that I never thought I would be a part of.

I'm surrounded by people and by a cause that keeps me accountable. I have good friends doing this with me, reminding me that I need to wake my ass up at 4:45am to get in the water to practice, to be better. I know I won't do Ironman year after year, but I'm confident that I'll stay involved. It's always, "so what are you signed up for?" If not participating in races, then I'm volunteering and cheering/encouraging on others. I am grateful that I am healthy and able. When I have days where I feel like hiding in my bed all day, or I really don't feel anything at all, I know that a good workout will pick me up. One of the reasons I had written down "winter sucks, I don't want to repeat winter 2009" basically not the happiest, still working on that but trying to stick to the goals I set.
I also realized that I need to surround myself with people who have passion and interests in things. I don't care what it is, but be interested. Be awesome at your job, your relationships, whatever it is you're trying to work on, but work at it. I'm trying not to be so hard on myself, but I try to continuous learn and grow, it's a balance.
I'm grateful to work with a group of people who push me to be healthy, physically and emotionally. I have people in my life to keep me in check when I am all over the place, and I'm thankful.
Also, healthy mindsets are what I'm working on too, learning to let go when things don't work out, or changing the plan if I need to. I joke about goals with my friends, but I really am a goal setter :)- it's the teacher in me. Here is a little piece from Amy's most recent team notes this week- Maybe I'll look back at this at one point during the summer when I'm tired and tell me self to "get it together" as I sometimes need to remind myself to do....

"Goals give us direction. They put a powerful force into play on a universal, conscious,
and subconscious level.

Goals give our life direction.

What would you like to have happen in your life this year? What would you like to do, to
accomplish? What good would you like to attract into your life? What particular areas of
growth would you like to have happen to you? What blocks or character defects, would
you like to be removed?

What would you like to attain – little things and big things? Where would you like to go?
What would you like to have happen in friendship and love? What would like to have
happen in your family life?

Remember, we aren’t controlling others with our goals – we are trying to give direction
to our life.

What problems would you like to see solved? What decisions would you like to make?
What would you like to happen in your career?

What would you like to see happen inside and around you?

Write it down. Take of piece of paper, a few hours of your time, and write it all down – as
an affirmation of you, your life, and your ability to choose. Then let it go.

Certainly, things happen that are out of our control. Sometimes, these events are
pleasant surprises; sometimes, they are of another nature. But they are all part of the
chapter that will be this year in our life and will lead us forward in the story."

No comments:

Post a Comment